- any of several churches claiming to have maintained historical continuity with the original Christian Church
- The Catholic Church, also known as the Roman Catholic Church, is the world’s largest Christian church, claiming over a billion members..
- Derived from the Greek word catholicos, “universal”; adpoted in the second century by one group of Christians to distinguish themselves from their rivals, particularly the gnostic Christians; more generally, “Catholic” describes those Christian groups which accept the ancient creeds, including
- A religious ceremony or act of the Christian Church that is regarded as an outward and visible sign of inward and spiritual divine grace, in particular
- (among Protestants) Baptism and the Eucharist
- (sacrament) a formal religious ceremony conferring a specific grace on those who receive it; the two Protestant ceremonies are baptism and the Lord’s Supper; in the Roman Catholic Church and the Eastern Orthodox Church there are seven traditional rites accepted as instituted by Jesus: baptism
- (sacramental) of or relating to or involving a sacrament
- The Sacraments of the Catholic Church are, the Church teaches, “efficacious signs of grace, instituted by Christ and entrusted to the Church, by which divine life is dispensed to us.
- (in the Roman Catholic and many Orthodox Churches) The rites of baptism, confirmation, the Eucharist, penance, anointing of the sick, ordination, and matrimony
- biggest consumers of energy in homes and buildings, which are heating
- seven: being one more than six
- A gramophone record, commonly known as a phonograph record (in American English), vinyl record (when made of polyvinyl chloride), or simply record, is an analog sound storage medium consisting of a flat disc with an inscribed, modulated spiral groove.
- seven: the cardinal number that is the sum of six and one
7 sacraments of the catholic church – The Seven
Blessed Sacrament Catherdal
Their intent was to build a Roman Catholic Church and public burial ground. Construction of a log church was started, and then called to a halt because of a lack of funding. The space was never completed, never used and the townspeople worshipped for the next 50 years at sites in Latrobe and Crabtree. The second church of the parish was built in 1846, a collaboration of Redemptorist Father John Henry Neumann (later named bishop of Philadelphia and canonized a saint by Pope Paul VI in 1977) and the priests and monks of the Order of St. Benedict, who established Saint Vincent Monastery in Latrobe that same year.
The brick structure was built on the site of the present rectory, facing south toward the Westmoreland County Courthouse, and measured 30 feet by 70 feet. A small rectory was built in 1850 to accommodate Father William Pollard, a priest of the Diocese of Pittsburgh, who served as pastor for three years.
The Benedictine priests from Saint Vincent Monastery assumed responsibility in 1853, a service they held for nearly 100 years. Benedictine Father Agatho Stuebinger took his place as pastor, erected a new rectory in 1885 and a new church building in 1887. This, the third church, was built of brick with natural stone trim. With dimensions of 45 feet by 100 feet, it held 400 people.
Through the turn of the century, as the area continually prospered and grew, so did Most Holy Sacrament Parish, necessitating the establishment of six additional parishes in outlying areas: St. Bruno Parish, south Greensburg; Holy Cross Parish, Youngwood; the former St. Bede Parish, Bovard; the former St. Gilbert Parish, Hunker; St. Paul, southwest Greensburg; and Our Lady of Grace, Greensburg.
The need for an even larger structure was realized in the early 1920s. A building fund campaign was organized in 1923. The architectural firm of Comes, Perry and McMullen, Pittsburgh, handled the design of the present English Gothic style. Built of sandstone with Indiana limestone trim, it was dedicated in May 1928.
Until the establishment of the Diocese of Greensburg March 10, 1951, Most Holy Sacrament Parish prospered under the leadership of several priests of the Benedictine community. Most Holy Sacrament was designated Blessed Sacrament Cathedral in May of that year with the Benedictines relinquishing pastoral responsibility.
A cathedral gets its name because it is the church where the cathedra (Greek and Latin for “chair”), or bishop’s chair, is placed. In ancient times, the chair was seen as the sign of authority to teach, and early bishops usually preached while seated. When the pope teaches formally, authoritatively and infallibly, he is said to be speaking "ex cathedra," – from the chair.
Bishop Hugh L. Lamb of Philadelphia was named the diocese’s first bishop. After his death December 8, 1959, Bishop William G. Connare was ordained and installed as the second bishop in ceremonies at the cathedral May 4, 1960. Additionally, Bishop Norbert F. Gaughan served as the only auxiliary bishop in diocesan history to date and was ordained at the cathedral June 26, 1975. After the retirement of Bishop Connare in December 1986, Bishop Anthony G. Bosco was installed as the third bishop in ceremonies at the cathedral June 30, 1987. Our current bishop, Bishop Lawrence E. Brandt, was installed as the fourth bishop of the Diocese of Greensburg in ceremonies at the cathedral March 4, 2004.
Blessed Sacrament Cathedral was renovated by the architectural firm of Celli-Flynn & Associates, using the guidelines of the Second Vatican Council for liturgical renewal as a basis for the new layout and design. The main altar was relocated from its previous position in the apse; its new position in the sanctuary emphasized the communal aspect of worship by bringing the congregation as near as possible to the altar. Existing marble from the original baldacchino was used throughout the sanctuary. The new main altar was then fashioned from the top and sides of the previous altar, marble columns salvaged from the baldacchino were cut into thin discs to pave the major portion of the new sanctuary floor, and a marble column capital was hollowed out to form the new baptismal font.
In 1983, after years of physical deterioration and limited availability of space in the present rectory, discussion regarding the need for an expanded facility began. After many investigations and much discussion with diocesan officials and parish pastoral council members, it was voted to erect a new parish administr
Holy Angels Catholic Church – Gary Indiana
Holy Angels Parish was established by the Rev. Thomas F. Jansen in September 1906 in the Diocese of Fort Wayne. It was the first Catholic parish founded in the city of Gary. The initial Masses in the parish were celebrated in a tavern at the corner of Fifth Avenue and Broadway. The first parish building was a combination church and school. The parishioners were mostly Eastern European, Irish, German and Italian
Holy Angels School opened in 1909 with the School Sisters of Notre Dame as the faculty. The parish grew slowly and by the 1940s there was a need for a larger church building. The Rev. John A. Sullivan was the pastor when the present church was built in the Gothic Revival style. The cornerstone was laid on October 26, 1947 and it was dedicated on January 29, 1950 by Bishop John F. Noll.
When Pope Pius XII established the Diocese of Gary on December 10, 1956, Holy Angels Church became the cathedral of the new diocese.
In the 1960s the primarily Caucasian parish began to change as African American and Latin American parishioners joined Holy Angels when St. Anthony’s and Sacred Heart Churches closed. The school building and convent were torn down in 1965 when a new two-story facility was built for $1.2 million. The building contained school classrooms, a convent, gymnasium, cafeteria and space for a parish hall. On June 7, 1994 the name of the school was changed to the Sister Thea Bowman School. It is now a charter school named the Thea Bowman Leadership Academy.
As one enters the worship space one encounters the baptismal pool and then is lead to the altar, which is located in the transept. The pool is made of travertine marble and the four pillars at the base are from the old high altar. The base and the top of the ambry, where the holy oils are kept, is the former baptismal font. The upper section is made from black walnut.
The altar is constructed of marble and is roughly square in shape. In the floor surrounding the altar are angels in mosaic. They are shown as the diversity of the human race and in the diocese itself: African, Caucasian, Asian and Latin. In the apse of the cathedral is the reredos from the old high altar with a Calvary grouping. The cathedra, or bishop’s chair, sits in the presbytery in front of the old reredos. It is carved from black walnut and installed in 1996. A carved angel stands next to the chair. The ambo is constructed of the same materials of the altar and the reredos.
The tabernacle is located in the Blessed Sacrament Chapel. A cross is formed behind the tabernacle by four carved angels in adoration. The shrine of the Holy Angels is in the east transept. It includes an icon of the Synaxis of the Holy Angels, which was done in an Ethiopian-Coptic style. The shrine is dedicated to deceased parishioners and priests of the diocese. Bishop Andrew Gregory Grutka, the first bishop of Gary, was laid to rest here in 1993.
7 sacraments of the catholic church
The author presents the sacraments in simple and understandable terms, based on the truths of the Catechism. Each sacrament is referenced to its origin in scripture, and then presented in a way the child might experience it today. Throughout the book, there are interactive questions designed to encourage discussion between the child and parent or teacher “What is the name of your priest? Can you think of one special job he does?” There are also several Catholic terms which are explained on an appropriate level.
Whether a child receives religious education through Catholic school or a supplemental catechism class, the book is helpful in explaining the seven sacraments and encouraging the child–and the parent–to make use of these special gifts from God.
Written in clear, simple language, this book:
–has vivid full-color illustrations throughout –can be either read to children or used by beginning readers –is a meaningful gift from parents and other family members –is the perfect teaching tool for use in Catholic schools or parish CCD classes